1990 GMC Suburban

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ahm1127, Jun 22, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. ahm1127

ahm1127 New Member 100 Posts

Just purchased an 1990 GMC Suburban 1500 5.7L. I was wondering what problems people had with there vehicles so I could catch them before any issues occur.
    Thanks
    :rofl:
  2. ahm1127

ahm1127 New Member 100 Posts

Thats great, no issues. I got the perfect truck!
  3. silleffej

silleffej New Member

I was given just over a year ago a 1990 GMC 1500 pick up with 5.7L 350. I just went ahead and replaced a few things just because then some because they failed. My truck sat for 7 years without being driven so I have had some problems that are unusual. The truck only has 55K miles on it!

First i started with basic tune up, plugs, wires, hoses, belt, fuel cap, radiator cap, pcv, air filter, and the fuel filter. all these cost me about a hundred bucks. Drained most fluids, flushed and replaced.

Since then I have replaced because of failing: alternator, battery, thermostat, fan clutch, egr, throttle position sensor, all the vacuum hoses, distributor cap and rotor, muffler, and oxygen sensor.

I love the truck, I used to have a 05' 5.3 L, this thing is a beast compared to that one. I also enjoy working on it because everything except the emissions crap is so easy to work on.

I will be happy to help you out any way possible if you have any questions please feel free to ask!
  4. backcountry horsewoman

backcountry horsewoman New Member 100 Posts

Congrats on your new truck! I've never had your specific truck, but I used to have a '95 Tahoe 1/2 ton, 5.7 and have had my 1993 burb for the last 5.5 years, which is a 3/4 ton, 4wd, but also a 5.7.

The water pump went in both trucks. That is an expected failure. The rear brakes are a bit of a pita and both trucks needed extensive servicing.

My Burb has also needed (in addition to little stuff... like O2 sensor, for instance) new fuel pump, alternator, transfer case, actuator, ignition coil, ignition switch, and power steering hydro boost unit.

Hope this helps. :)