1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1990 Suburban 6.2Diesel Engine replacement

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Mike Hill, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Rockstar

Hello

My Suburban has begun to consume more Oil than I would like,so I have bought a replacement Engine and Transmission.I have never replaced the Engine in anything before,here are my questions.

Must I remove the Master Cylinder from the Firewall before I remove the Engine?

Should I try to remove/install the Engine and Trans (less the Transfer case) as one unit?

Thankyou in advance

Mike Hill
  2. osgprometheus

osgprometheus Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Nope, the master cylinder can stay in. What I always do in that case is remove the front clip. It's easy. That saves a lot of frustration reaching nuts and bolts, and plugs. It also lets you pull the trans out also and get a good inspection on it easily.
  3. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Rockstar

Thankyou

I plan on draining and removing the Radiator to get some more room.Do I need to raise the front of the car up so I have enough room for the trans to clear the ground as I raise the Engine and trans up and out?

I guess I may be making more of a big deal out of this than it really is.I just don't want to need anything halfway through the job.
  4. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

No, you don't have to raise it up, but it will make getting to the lower stuff a lot easier.
    You don't even have to remove the radiator to get the engine out. Just remove the hood, and go slow and easy.
  5. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

:glasses:Yep this is sound advice and the easiest way to achieve your goal,,, less jacks blocks and rigging to pull it out trans and engine in one unit, and the tear down on a front clip is rather easy....Make sure you have a few old coffee cans or the like of,, to put in bolts, nuts and clips,,, use one for the clip and rad etc. and another for the engine bolts and mounts and links, etc, and the other for the extra stuffs you may find.... reassemble of your new motor to your transmission will be slick and easy outside the truck.... then drop it back in......
  6. TMAL1

TMAL1 Member

If you raise the vehicle you will have issues getting it over the radiator support. If pulling both at the same time? Try to get aan adjustable device to hook to your engine for pulling and install as you will be dealing with a greater range of angles. Once out check all your lines and stuff under and around the engine as most of mine were in poor shape. TAKE PICS!!! Before unhooking anything. A lot of pics.

Good luck and be careful.
  7. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Rockstar

Thankyou very much for all your replies.

I am unsure about a term that "Dirty Dog" and "osgprometheus" used. What is the "Front Clip?"

Very good advice about taking lots of Photos.I did that when I took the Cab off a Truck I own,the Photo's were invaluable when reconnceting all the wiring.
  8. TMAL1

TMAL1 Member

The front clip...usually refers to the entire front end. Fenders , hood and all. I have never personally removed an entire front clip to do an engine swap but I had wished I had on many an occasion. It sure would make reaching it all quite nice.