1990 Suburban Power window motor replacement

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by twofakind, Dec 9, 2009.

1. twofakind

twofakind New Member

Hi!

I have a 1990 Suburban. The driver side power window stopped working and I'm going to replace the motor. I had a few questions:

1. Do I have to remove the regulator? Or can I just remove the motor?
    2. The autozone site says I need to drill a hole in the regulator and use a screw to keep the arms under tension? I replaced a lot of motors/regulators but never had to do this.

Off topic...I also wanted to change my front diff fluid. Do you know what viscosity I need? Do I need to remove the cover or can I just suck it out the fill hole? And then do I fill it till it comes out the fill hole? Or do I put in a certain amount.

thanks!

2. inspectormatt

inspectormatt Member

Yes, you have to remove the regulator as the motor is bolted to it. It may seem the assembly will not come out of the opening in the door but once you get it figured out it will come out easily, just hard to describe. And yes you do have to drill the hole and stick a small bolt in it to keep the tension on the spring. I have replace all the window motors in my suburban. To replace the front diff fluid, pull off the cover, drain it and spray parts cleaner to clean all the old fluild out of there. Clean and scrape the cover and diff housing of old gasket. I have used RTV gasket the seal the cover back on. Use GL-5 gear lube.