1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1990 suburban stuck in park!?!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 1990chevy, Oct 9, 2010.

1. 1990chevy

1990chevy New Member

alright so i drove my suburban to my freinds house then back parked it on a little hill in front of my house not to steep we all park on it so when my dad got home from work he told me to move it went an d got in the truck and it wouldnt go in reverse so my day pulls his sububan(also 90) and pushes on the back to take the strain off of the tranny it worked the first time then he put it back up there and put it back in park did it like 3 times and it got stuck again tried to push it with the truck again and that didnt work. any ideas what is causing this?

i have a 700r4 transmission with over drive any other questions id be glad to answer
    thanks
  2. WA-woodsman

WA-woodsman New Member

take it to a trans shop. have a pro tell you whats wrong, then decide if you can fix it yourself or pay the shop.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Usually when you're parked on a hill, you first set the parking brake while you're in gear, then shift into park so the transmission isn't strained. If you don't, the parking pawl likes to get stuck. You should be able to somewhat yank on the shifter to get it out of park.
  4. 1990chevy

1990chevy New Member

so you want me to force it haha?

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 AM ----------

it would cost more in gas to trailer the truck to the closest ''tranny shop'' then to find a used tranny haha
  5. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Hi Chevy, welcome to the GM Truck Club. Ditto to what Crawdaddy said, both on the parking on a hill instructions, and on the diagnosis. Your dad was on the right track by pushing on the truck to take the pressure off, to release the parking pawl, but it is possibly too bent now to work properly.
    To answer your que as to what is causing this: when you are parked on a hill, the entire weight of your vehicle is being held by a miniscule little piece of metal in your trans that just can't take that kind of a load/pressure. They are not designed for this.
  6. 1990chevy

1990chevy New Member

ive replyed twice and the messages arent showing up soo here we go with #3 lol....we took the oil pan off today and i no what ur talking about that little peice ...is there a fix? or do i have to buy a new one ...can u buy a new one haha thanks again
  7. stephan

Hey Chevy, Here is a link that carries GM parts. I haven't been in the trans section but I was in the front end/suspension sect. lookin at ball joints, steering gear etc. and it was fairly complete. When you get to the site just enter your truck info and look for transmissions and see if they have your part. It will also show prices and they seem to be reasonable for most parts.

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?q=1&makecode=LC

edit***
    forgot to tell you, yes you need to buy a new one or else continue to suffer the trouble you have been having since you bent it

p.s. You better not be laying under that truck workin on the trans while it's parked on that hill :grrrrrr:
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  8. 1990chevy

1990chevy New Member

whats the part called i need? and no i wasnt working on it on the hill haha we hooked a chain to it and dragged it down lol
  9. stephan

It's called a parking pawl. You may also need other associated parts that got bent with it.
    How did you drag it with it stuck in park?

Were you actually sliding the tires when you drug it?:rofl:
  10. 1990chevy

1990chevy New Member

hooked a chain to the hitch and to my dads freinds truck and put it in low gear pulled it completly sideways haha

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

yeah thats what i thought it was called i couldnt find it on the huge list lol ill look again