1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1990 V2500 Suburban

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by The Burbs, Sep 22, 2009.

1. The Burbs

The Burbs New Member

990 CHEVROLET V2500 SUBURBAN
    4 DR. WAGON/SPORT UTILITY
    5.7L V8 TBI OHV 16V
    4 WHEEL DRIVE

Hey everyone,

I tried using the search function and read lots of great threads.
    But I still have a few questions.

I am planning on buying a suburban here in alaska and I do not know much about older trucks especially SFA ones.

The Suburban is on 42" swampers. Has a 14bolt rear axle not sure on front?
    5:13 gears
    rear detroit locker
    front air locker
    heater dose not work needs a new heater core. Most of every thing else is in good shape only 111,000 miles

I know there is going to be some parts that needs to be replaced and I plan on making this a project truck for the mountains up here in alaska.

Is there anything that I need to know before I buy this and questions I should ask.

He said all suspension parts have been replaced with 1 ton parts.

The shocks need to be replaced

he says it is an 8" lift

Any thing to look out for??

Any suggestions on what are the first things I should do when I get the vehicle

I plan on changing all filters and fluids right away and just going over her and cleaning her up and replace small parts as necessary.

I want to replace the leaf springs on all four corners with new ones from Deaver??

Get all new shocks .

Sorry for such a long post I am really just trying to take a crash course on the 1990 suburban

Thanks for the help !!!! I know long first post usually go by and nobody cares but I plan on starting a project thread if I buy this beast and sticking around this forum and learning as much as I can

Thanks

[​IMG]
  2. Silveradolady

Silveradolady Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Nice truck with lots of potential. Check the usual. Is the oil clean? Check the atf if its an auto. Look underneath for rust. What does the engine compartment look like? Is it tidy and detailed or rough and a mess? Little things that might give you an idea of how well the truck was maintained. 5 - 10k miles per year is low 20k is avg. and 25k+ year tells you it has been driven hard. Your candidate has less than 6k per year so it hasn't been driven alot.

Let us know if you pull the trigger.
  4. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site...that burb looks like a beast!
  5. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  6. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! Looks like a real "war horse"! There are a lot of Sub's on the site so you should be able to get plenty of info'! Good luck!
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Looking at the pics, it certainly appears to be a full floater in back, which is a good thing. I can't tell for sure, but it also looks like the rear axle was rolled up to straighten the driveline. That's a sign of good work. From this angle it's tough to tell what the front axle is. If it's truly "one ton", it should be a Dana 60. They can be identified two ways. They have king pins rather than ball joints. And looking at the pumpkin under the truck looking towards the rear, at about 4 oclock you should see a "60" cast into the housing. A D44 is not nearly as strong. I would expect a D60 given what I've seen. Hopefully the TBI is still intact. Not a powerhouse, especially if you plan to hit the mud, but enough. A popular upgrade is to put Vortec heads on, and leave the stock TBI. The bigger valves in the Vortec heads make a huge difference. As for transmission, I would expect a TH400. Three speed auto, very strong. The transmission pan is odd shaped. Some say it looks like the USA, I think it looks more like Texas. The TH350 is square with one corner cut off. And most likely the bullet proof NP205 for transfer case. Looks like a good truck if you are up for an adventure!
  8. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Nice truck . Welcome to the site.