1991 k20 - info needed

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by 2VT, May 26, 2009.

1. 2VT

2VT New Member

I just got this big dog. It's supercharged and runs well. However it appears to have an extra set of brackets for a 4 shock set up in the front. Does anybody know if this a stock set up? The parts listings only call for 2 shocks in the front

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but Chevy never made a dual shock setup from the factory. Now there is the possibility that the truck was a conversion truck, that was sent out from the dealer to get upgraded. A lot of conversion places do the dual shock setup, when I bought my Regency truck that was an option that I could have gotten when my truck was new.

Welcome to the club by the way, have fun! :party:

3. Landslide

Landslide New Member

My 90 1/2 ton has 4 shocks up front as did my 84 they are both stock set ups, try LMCtrucks.com, or if you have a decent 4x4 shop in your area they can hook you up.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do you have any pics? K20 sounds like a solid axle job. Suburban? And GM put 4 shocks on many solid axle trucks. I think it was part of their "Heavy Half" package in the mid 80's. I don't know the value of it, considering that a one ton rear only has one shock. Anyhow, I was putting shocks on my 97 the other day and was thinking dual shocks would be nice for the winter when the plow is on.

5. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well, if i believe correctly, it doesn't come with it stock. But, don't quote me on this. Does your truck have a lift on it?

6. 2VT

2VT New Member

Shocking News

Well OK. Replys were split about even (if you include my 2 cents). I seem to remember seeing a K5 Blazer with factory 4 shocks back in 1979 (I was a Chevrolet Service Writer at the time). Mine is not modified or lifted and it is a solid axle (I'll get pics up as soon as the laptop is revived). I'm wondering if anybody knows where this type of info could be found.?

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Oh yes they did!! Suburbans from the 88-91 era came with two shocks per side up front!! BAM!!!:money:
    Gotcha Amy!!

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  8. 2VT

2VT New Member

Ah Ha, found it

Landslide, you were right, LMCTruck.com had it. It was a factory "Quad Shock" option 1981 to 1991.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csb/full.aspx?Page=142

It uses a common lower mount yet 2 seperate upper mount locations making it necessary to use two different shock lenghts (kind'a like a Harley motor).

I knew I'd come to the right place to find out. Thanks

By the way, for your viewing enjoyment, the attached photo shows me auto crossing my Mothers '74 Suburban 454 Trailering Special. Took top time of the day in stock at Star Dust Raceway in Las Vegas, Nevada that day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well see I am not familiar with the OLDER trucks so I guess I shouldn't have said anything, but I know on the newer trucks they don't have dual shock setups from the factory. We have a huge gap in vehicles at our house, we go from 1930-1966..................1990-2008. I will research next time, I apologize. Glad you found the info. :sign0016:

10. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No worries, all in good fun!!!:glasses: