Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1991 s10 enigine swap to 350

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by davidrush91, Oct 29, 2013.

1. davidrush91

davidrush91 New Member

OK i'm looking for some good advice here.
    I'm looking to take my 1991 Chevy s10 and swap my 2.8 v6 for a 350. it is a 5speed and im looking to keep it that way when i swap over.
    What i would like to know is, what all do i need to complete this swap and make sure that the truck will run this motor with no problems?
    One big question is what transmission am i looking for to bolt up to the motor? any help would be appreciated.
  2. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

Well if you are trying to keep it as close to OEM as possible you may be able to use your transmission on a 350. I noticed from the wiki article about your NV3500 transmission was used in 91-06 silverado's but that may be with the 4.3L v6 not the v8's.

here's Hamburger's "kit in a box" from jegs which is prob the direction i'd be leaning if i had the crate motor but no accessories. but also be scouring the internet like crazy trying to read other peoples S10 w/ 350 conversion blogs (of which i could find none at the moment) to get as much info on successes/troubles to be foreseen.

Are you going with a junkyard restoration, crate motor, or?
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

4. davidrush91

davidrush91 New Member

" Im going to try and buy a used 350 and rebuild it"
  5. 95_5spd

95_5spd Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Basically you wanna change most of the drivetrain stuff. Look up some 5 speed transmissions for 350's like the t-56.
    Here's a little something right here

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/s10-5-speed-chevy-350-a-159923.html

Should get a new rear end too and if you're pushing a good amount of power a strong driveshaft would be worth it. Just beef up all of that stuff and you will be set.
  6. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I'm pretty sure The 2.8 transmission has a different bolt pattern than that of the 4.3v6 and the v8's as the 2.8 v6 is a 60* and not a 90* engine like the v8. I'm sure a local tranny shop can confirm or even someone else on her