1992 4WD not engaging

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Malachi, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Malachi

Malachi New Member

ok, got a 1992 Chevrolet K2500 P/U. Enginge is a 350. 4WD engages via the lever on the floor.

4WD was working fine the other day, but today took it up to snow line and just spun back tires. With the transfer case in 4HI I have no power to front axle.

I looked under it while someone put it in 4HI and backed it up a bit. The front drive shaft is turning, as is the front axle on both sides. So, seems like it is in 4WD. But, when driving on pavement there is no normal tell-tale hard steering, chirping when turning, nothing. Also, took it into some gravel and punched the accelerator, back tires spun, front tires did not. Even got out again and looked underneath, front axle is turning when pulling forward.

So, seems like it is in fact engaging 4WD, until you put it under a load, then there is no power to front axle.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sounds to me that your front axle actuator has gone bad. They are a thermal switch from the factory, and the replacement is a different stye (i cant remebre exact terminology at this moment there are some threads on the site about it if you are curious) anyhow that is a very common issue with the 4wd on the 88-98 models. Also when you are in 4wd you will have the driveshaft spinning as well as the CV axles. The CV axles turn all the time since there isnt a hub and they are bolted right to the hubs. And the driveshaft is mechanically engaged by your floor shift and the actuator is the only electronic component to make the 4wd work. As i said i would take a closer look at the actuator and go from there.