1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1992 Suburban K1500 under vehicle whine that starts about 10MPH and gets worse

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by clhaggett, Apr 22, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. clhaggett

clhaggett New Member

Where to begin... I have replace the front wheel bearings, real axle shafts and bearings, and just rebuilt the transfer case. The reason for the latter was that when I put the truck in 4WHi, the noise stops. This started out very quiet and has continued to get more persistant. Initially you could let up on the gas pedal and it would go quiet. Ready to park this one in a canal, so please help if you have a recommendation. Had the rear end checked and they also checked the pinion bearing.:grrrrrr::grrrrrr:
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Anyone take a look at the front driveshaft U-joints? or the ujoints in general?
  3. clhaggett

clhaggett New Member

U joints are all new and cool to the touch after driving.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like it could be a bad powersteering pump or a noisy tranny pump... otherwise if everything else has been checked those are really the only other things.
  5. Ethan

Ethan New Member 100 Posts

Sounds like you didn't put the 2 wheel high part of the transfer case back together right, prolly the bearing for the syncro or whatever it has, if it goes away in 4 wheel high, but is present in 2 wheel drive, then it has something to do with the 2 wheel high part of your transfer case, which should just be direct drive and bypassing the gear that drives your front axles. I would pull it apart and check all your clearances with a fine tooth comb.
  6. clhaggett

clhaggett New Member

Took to a second shop and found that the ring and pinion were bad. I've got to admit that this truck is frustrating!
  7. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Just curious, how many miles on this truck??
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2 what stephan asked.
  9. clhaggett

clhaggett New Member

257,000 miles.