Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1992 Suburban pitman arm

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by bracketracer-78, Jul 1, 2008.

1. What all is invalved to change a pitman arm on a 1992 Suburban 1500 4 X 4?

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I replaced the steering gear on my 93 a couple of years ago. See the post here: GMTC for the step by step that includes removing the pitman arm. Also check out this post on saginaw steering box adjustment

3. Thanks for the info. I will be swaping the pitman arm out in a few weeks. Also, how does the steering shaft attach to the steering box?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  4. I swaped the pitman arm today. It took about a hour to pull the steering box out and about two hours to put it back in. I had issues trying to line up the steering shaft to the steering box.

5. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm doing the pitman arm and idler arm in my dad's 94 "war wagon" this weekend, so this thread popped up just in time. Thanks for the link.

6. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I replaced the pitman arm, idler arm and idler arm pivot bracket. Started about 8:30, finished by 3:00, but in the middle, spent about 2 hours with lunch and picking up my son from a class and then helped a neighbor install a motor in his boat. All in all, about 2 1/2 hours total work time.

I couldn't find a 1 5/16" socket, but a 33 mm axle nut socket was a perfect fit for the pitman arm nut.