1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1992 Suburban transfer case issue

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bracketracer-78, Aug 16, 2007.

1. bracketracer-78

bracketracer-78 New Member

I have a 1992 Suburban K1500 with the th700r4 and the np241 transfer case. When i engauge the transfer case it takes a while to go into 4 wheel drive. After it goes into 4 wheel drive for a few seconds it jumps out for a few seconds than the 4 wheel drive kicks in again then stays there. Any one have thoughts on this?
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If this is the same as mine, 94 it is not a cable but a vacume switch, at least I think it is. I know there are kits to change it over to just a cable, the way it should be. These types have a lot of problems, mine was just replaced just before I bought it and it wasn’t cheep. Around $180 if I remember right, I found the recept in the glove box.

If I am wrong I’m sure someone will pipe in.
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

GM uses a thermal actuator that does have troubles. When mine crapped out, the shop wanted around $300 to upgrade to a new harness/actuator. I just went to NAPA and bought the original design actuator for $80 and installed it myself in about 10 minutes. I figured the original one lasted 200k miles so I can afford to replace a few. The cable conversion is also a good idea, since it overcomes the temperature issues that affects the original design. Read an earlier post with a link to the posi-lock cable conversion.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2007