1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1993 Chevy K1500 stalls at idle

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by peedeeriverrat, Jul 9, 2009.

1. peedeeriverrat

peedeeriverrat New Member

1993 Chevy K1500 stalls at idle
    Please help. I have a 1993 Chevy k1500 that started stalling occasionally at idle. I also noticed that the oil pressure gauge was eratic. The first thing I deciced to do was replace the oil sending unit. The old one was leaking on the electric plug side. Since I was working near the distributor I opened the cap and saw that it was in bad shape - pretty much burnt on the center of the cap and rotor. I replaced this with a STANDARD brand rotor and cap. The cap has brass conductors. I also decided to change the spark plugs. I put in new Bosch Platinums. The motor was cool and had not been drove that day when I did all this. I cranked it and it ran like brand new. When it warmed up, it started a slight sputter that would get worse until it would stall. It is very easy to crank back up and as long as you have your foot on the gas pedal running around 1,000 rpms in park it runs great. It's only when it starts its "warmed up" slow idle that it stalls. The next day I cranked it and it did the exact same thing. So I asked a mechanic and he recommended changing the IACV. I installed it just like it said. The old one looked very bad. I cranked it and let it run. After it warmed up it stalled again. I cranked it and turn on the air cond. and I think by watching the rpms stay pretty steady around 800-900 rpms, I think it is working right. But, still it will stall. If i press the gas pedal just a little it straightens back up for about 10 seconds or so.

I was reading about egr stuff in the haynes book and the vaccum to the egr solenoid is good. There is no vaccum on the egr valve side of this solenoid while it is in park running. I don't hear any vaccum leaks. The only thing I know I did wrong was put too much oil in the motor at the same time I was doing all of the tune-ups. And I ran it for about a minute then figured out what I had done then I changed the oil and filter.

Please let me know what I should try or check.

Thanks, Vern
  2. freddie

freddie Rockstar 100 Posts

Have you have changed the fuel filter? I have a '96 Dakota one time and it didn't have a fuel filter so I had to put a new fuel pump in because that was where the filter was. Dunno if this may help. But it sounds the same. I couldn't even stop at a red light or a stop sign very long before it would shut off and I had to keep one foot on the brake and gas to keep it going.
  3. peedeeriverrat

peedeeriverrat New Member

Thanks. Since this post I think I have it narrowed down to the distrubutor pickup coil. I started watching the tach close and seems like it goes whack at idle.