1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1993 Front Differential Problems

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by remist17, Jul 1, 2009.

1. remist17

remist17 Member

Hello all,
    I have 93 K1500 4x4 thats having some issues with the front differential. I am thinking about pulling the differential out to redue the bearings.

My question is, can a 4x4 be made into a 2x4 ? If I tear into the diff and find its bad I dont have the money to put into it so I was thinking maybe just convert the truck to 2 wheel. Pull the transfer case and put in a new tranny nad drive shaft. But i am not sure about the front hubs and axels. Do the axels play a part on securing the wheels?
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You would have to replace the IFS front end with a straight axle style in order to do this. It would be cheaper to buy a used front diff.