1993 gmc suburan k1500 right rear shock?!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by icemann42, Oct 10, 2013.

1. icemann42

icemann42 New Member

how in the world do you remove the right rear shock....it dosnt seem like u can get a wrench up there ....also if u break a bolt dosnt seem like i could get new bolts up there ....any help would be great thanks much

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I assume your talking about the top two. From what i can see on this pic from my truck it doesn't look too bad, but I'm not sure how similar the '93 Burb and '96 Tahoe are. I say best bet it lots of penetrating oil, a 6 point socket, various extensions and a cheater bar.
    [​IMG]

3. icemann42

icemann42 New Member

looks pretty similar but on my burban there is nuts and bolts holding the top on and i cant really fit any wrench i have up there on top of the sub frame ....why would they do that??? there is literally only a inch between the sub frame and the body ....im clueless....

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

You may have to get a short wrench or have another person help who has smaller hands.

5. poncho62

poncho62 Active Member 1 Year 100 Posts

The old Chevelles (68-72) were the same deal.....it can be done but its tight

6. icemann42

icemann42 New Member

I thank u all for your input .....I'm bringing it to my local repair shop there gonna put it on for 40 bucks .....good deal ...thanks again

7. cmcolfax

cmcolfax Member

Common problem on Jeep XJ Cherokees too...

Look for replacement shock mounts or "bar pin eliminators" or "bpe's".

Essentially they are a bracket that bolts in to those stock holes and then you can use a traditional shock bolt to mount the top.

HTH

-cmc-

8. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

This makes me want to go look at mine and see what a pia it will be