Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1993 GMC suburban C1500 2x4...need axle help

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Zombie Killer, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer New Member

My 1993 suburban's spider gears in the differential has broken. I am not real familiar with GM axles. Can someone point me where I can find info and maybe a write up for this job. I have done a search but haven't found everything........any advise would be greatly appreciated. I need this back on the road asap.

2. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm not an axle expert, so take this with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure you can't change the spider gears without pulling the carrier. When you pull the carrier, you should probably go ahead and change the bearings on it as well. There is a center pin in the carrier that holds all the spider gears in place. Again not sure exactly what it takes to get that pin out, but get the pin out and then you can change the gears. When putting back together make sure to set the preload and backlash. Here's some better info i found:

http://www.differentials.com/install.html

3. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer New Member

Idendification help......

Thanks for the link.

Here are some pictures of my diff. What do I have? Is this a limited slip?
    IMG_11601-1-1.jpg
    IMG_11591-1.jpg
    IMG_11561-1.jpg

4. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer New Member

Found the answer......G80 Gov-loc.

Now to fix it

5. racekid91

racekid91 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

G80. They are REALLY unreliable. Get yourself a Detroit Trutrac. That's what will be going into my 14bolt SF next year when I go SFA