1993 K1500, Manual 4x4 lever and it wont enguage in 4x4 when i pull the lever.

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by DanPruski, Jan 18, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. DanPruski

DanPruski New Member

Front driveshaft enguages in differencial but will not spin the front tires. Acts like its in 4x4 meaning in 4L i can only go 10MPH, and 4H i can feel it enguaged, but the front wheels wont spin with the back.

Checked the fluid in the front diff, gears, ujoints, tcase fluid and gears, and checked the CV's on front, and TCase linkage.

I was told it may be some "plunger" on the front "axle"

makes driving in winter a pain any help would be appreciated.
  2. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member 100 Posts

There is a actuator on the front diff. It's on the front passenger side of the case. Unplug the wiring and check if its getting voltage when transfercase in in 4wd and engine is running. If you do its the actuator, if not its in the wiring or a fuse.
  3. DanPruski

DanPruski New Member

okay, is the actuator on the diff-case, or on the small "axle" on the passenger side?
    and to test it just unplug it and test for continuity at the plug with the engine running and in 4X4, or can it be done with just the battery on?
  4. cooter71

cooter71 New Member

shift it into 4x4 and make sure the front wheels on the little picture of the truck by the shifter are lit up, then leave the key on and go test it. you will see the wires going into the front axle, i forget exactly where the actuator is, i think its on the little axle on the passenger's side, but don't quote me. but i swear, you wont miss it lol
  5. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

in theory if the actuator is not working the indicator should not light up as the solenoid trips the light switch, i guess its possible that the actuator may move enough to turn on the light but not have enough power to shift all the way to lock in the diff
  6. DanPruski

DanPruski New Member

The light wont come on for it which makes me think the actuator is fully bad, not just partially.

Is there any way to bypass that actuator? Or is it absolutely needed for the system to work?
  7. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

you need either a actuator or there is a mechanical system called a posi-lok that changes to a cable activation from the cab, those are pretty much your two options
  8. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member 100 Posts

If I remember right, you can also switch to a manual hub for a TON of money. I used a posi-lok in my old Dodge and I would recommend it to anybody. Easy to install and works great. Should only be a little over $200 if I remember right, which is about a quarter of what a manual hub kit costs for that year of truck.
  9. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

manual hub kits are for trucks that are solid axle, no such thing for a ifs chevy, the hub does nothing, its is like a front wheel drive car hub, the diff lock is in the differential axle tube and a plunger locks it in.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  10. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member 100 Posts

Thanks for the clarification.