1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1993 K3500 Silverado transmission rebuild question(s)

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Geoffr, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Geoffr

Geoffr New Member

Ok, the 4L80E in our 1993 has all but given up the ghost. first reverse and overdrive went, now it has started slipping in Drive.

I got a 4L80E that is supposedly good that came out of a 96 or 97 suburban K2500, I plan on rebuilding it and getting a new torque convertor.

My question(s) are...

any suggestions/pointers towards rebuild kits (brand, etc) we do a fair amount of hauling and towing with this beast, but it is also what has been my daily driver to work (gets better milage than my 92 K1500 suburban with 5.7L gas in it) and my partner has been driving that suburban since it is more reliable.

I got a rebuild manual for the transmission that goes through step by step that was recommended to me.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well first question is a 3/4ton (im assuming as much since it has a 4L80E) and is it a gas or a Diesel???? Because that will make a difference in kits that are wanted/needed, for your application.
  3. Geoffr

Geoffr New Member

1 ton and Diesel.
  4. Geoffr

Geoffr New Member

anyone with suggestions? Can I upgrade it to HD ?? I understand that this is mostly extra frictions and steels?

also the frictions and steels, are kevlar bands and frictions really better?

I want this tranny to last as long as possible once it is rebuilt.

Torque converter suggestions anyone?? is a reman stock TC a good choice? I have come across other locking TC's that say they have more 'clutch' material on the lock up portion???