1994 1500 shifting problems 1st 2nd and revrese now 3rd and reverse

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jmfrickey, Mar 26, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. jmfrickey

jmfrickey New Member

I just purchased this 1994 1500 step side when i first got it the pickup would shift in 1st 2nd and reverse now it only shifts in 3rd and reverse i bought it knowing about the tranny problems planing to replace it but then it changed the way it shifts thought maybe it might be something other than the tranny itsself thanks for any info
    i believe it has the 4l60e
    and also when i manully put it into first it acts kinda like im trying to power stall or like holding brakes and trying to drive
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  2. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !
  3. SkullMountainRider

SkullMountainRider New Member

Welcome to the site. I've heard of similar problems when low on fluid or when the fluid has never been changed. Start by changing the fluid, ( Dex II or III ATF) and filter. Drain the fluid into a clean container in case there is metal shavings in there. It might cost a few bucks but it might solve the problem. I've removed a tranny once that had Wood Shavings in it, (don't ask me how or why or who or etc..) If you decide to fix it,, unless you re-build tranny's for a living, I'd suggest talking to your local transmission guy.
  4. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome......!
  5. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome aboard. Best of luck with your truck issues.
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your new ride! Hopefully, you'll get your tranny issues fixed easily and as cheaply as possible.
  7. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

********Thread moved here***********