1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1994 chevy single cab 5.7 L 4x4 chevy gear oil leak help?????

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Mario Martinez, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez New Member

my truck is leaking gear oil from the breather tube up by the radiator on driver side. someone told me to check hose for kinks. i did that already but it still seems to leak. HELP??

1994 chevy single cab
    4x4
  2. Royhunterkid

Royhunterkid New Member

where exactly is it leaking from and how much?
  3. Mario Martinez

It is leaking from the breather hose that is right next to the radiator.. the end of the hose has a type of pressure cap on it im thinking... i took it off to clean to make sure it is not plugged up or anything.. the dirverside front A-arms and things around it are covered in oil from the wind splatter from driving. i drove quite a bit yesterday thats why theres oil on those spots
  4. Mario Martinez

Here is a photo of the hose of where the gear oil is coming out of..

photo.jpg

Attached Files:

5. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

you sure its gear oil? the cooler lines right next to that like to leak and that oil looks way too black to be gear oil, that cap on that axle hose is just a breather cap to help keep water out, it has nothing to do with pressure
  6. Mario Martinez

I'm sure it is gear oil I drain a bit to see the color of it and it's the same color.. Looks black in the pic.. Plus the gear oil is a lot thicker than regular oil.at first I thought it was tranny fluid from the lines going into the radiator but it's not those its way to thick ... I don't know what it can be ...
  7. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

the thing is, that hose is to keep water out yet let the heat escape and allow the gear oil to expand without blowing out seals, the oil should never really get into it much less the couple of feet that the hose goes.

the first possibility that comes to mind is water got into the diff so now there is too much fluid in the housing and as expansion occurs it forces the oil further up the hose?
  8. Mario Martinez

Well I opened the filler cap to see if it was overfilled and no fluid came out... I blew a little air in it to see if it is not plugged.. I'll see tomorrow when I get to work if it still leaks. what else u suggest I do??
  9. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

that is baffeling with it not being overfilled but yet oil getting up there, did you smell the oil on the hose? it may have the same color but yet still be motor oil, they are two distinctive smells, generally when gear oil is up there like that it is due to someone making their own breather connection in the housing directly above the ring gear but that is not the case here and you dont have the overfill/water in diff situation so now you got me scratching my head on this one.
  10. Mario Martinez

Tell me about it .. I smelled it and it does smell like gear oil