1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1994 Chevy tranny problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Ethan, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Ethan

Ethan Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm kinda new here, so I'm not sure how all this works , but I'm going to go ahead explain my problem.
    I have a 1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 2wd with what I think is a 4L60E overdrive transmission. Its been giving me crap lately. Early in the mornings when its cold it will shift real hard and has a faster than normal crawl speed. And when it gets hot it will slip alot and does not like to shift out of 4th when you give it gas, which is annoying for going up hills, cause it just sucks more gas instead of just shifting to a lower gear. I've had the TPI( I think thats what its called) sensor replaced on my tranny. One more odd problem I have with it is that when I take off kinda fast, the transmission likes to sorta wind up, like it'll still goes, but after a certian point it feels like the gears fully catch and it kicks and acceraltes like it should.

Anybody have any ideas whats wrong with my tranny? My auto teacher told me to just replace the tranny filter and fluid and put some Lucas tranny additive in it and it should fix it. But idk.

Also, I've heard alot of bad things about this transmission, is it worth it to rebuild it, or just buy a new one? I've been looking for 5 speed automatics that will fit my 350.

Thanks-Ethan
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi Ethan,

It sure sounds like your transmission has a code and is in failsafe mode. Failsafe causes harsh shifts and high line pressure. I'd suggest you take it to Autozone or a shop and have it scanned. Post up the codes and we'll help you fix it. How's the fluid look?

3. Ethan

Ethan Rockstar 100 Posts

Really? I didnt know transmissions could have code, at least on older model cars. I havent checked the fluid in a while, but I havent done over 40,000 miles yet since it was changed. I'll look at the fluid tomorrow and let you know. I dont know how a shop is going to tell me what wrong since its OB1 and I've been told that the computer diagositc stuff dosent work on OB 1.

Also, when that TPI sensor when out, it was shifting like I was flooring it when I was actually just doing 30 miles an hour. What I'm talking about is nothing like that, its very unknoticable but it still affects my 0-60 time and my shifting problems when crusing around.

But thanks for replying.
  4. Jimmiee

Really! You have a 4L60E transmission and although it's OBDI it still has 4 solenoids and is completely controlled by your PCM.
  5. Ethan

Ethan Rockstar 100 Posts

Learn something new every day, so my transmission is controlled by a computer? I thought automatic trannys worked on fluid pressure? Or is that the older automatics? Idk, I'm going to be takeing a automatic transmission class next semester, so I guess I'll know alot about them then.

But I'm about to go and take a bunch of pictures of my truck here in a little bit, so I'll post a picture of the tranny and the fluid color.

Also, does autozone do a scan for codes for free? I'm a bit tight on money. I'm hopeing my auto electric teacher might have a fancy tool for checking for codes on a OBD 1 truck.
  6. Ethan

Ethan Rockstar 100 Posts

This is the best picture I could get of the tranny, it was raining outside.

[​IMG]

And this is the color of the trans fluid. To me it still looks very good.

[​IMG]
  7. Jimmiee

Your fluid looks OK. Auto Zone will scan it for you for free!