1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1994 diesel hard start when hot

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by BIGDRILL, Mar 15, 2012.

1. BIGDRILL

BIGDRILL New Member

Father in law has a 94 6.5 that will start everytime when cold. when very hard to start( crank and go dead), then take forever to restart. I have cummins, but need help. Thanks very much.
  2. Dukeschevy

Dukeschevy Rockstar 100 Posts

The PMDs (pump mounted driver) usually go bad once overheated, I had to replace mine when it kept stalling. It would run fine until the truck warmed up then it sometimes stalled, ran like crap, or didnt start at all. It could be something completly different but this is common. Hope this helps Good luck
    -Dave
  3. Asphalt Animal

Asphalt Animal Rockstar 100 Posts

Most likely PMD matter. When it doesn't start, see if you get any smoke out the tailpipe, or crack an injector line to see it if delivering fuel. If neither, probably the PMD.
  4. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Hard starting only when the engine is hot is a sign that the head and rotor inside the IP is worn.... Time for a new IP...