1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1994 Ext Cab lowering question

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by brando tahoe, Feb 25, 2013.

1. brando tahoe

brando tahoe New Member

i am looking at buying a 1994 ext cab 1500 2wd pickup that has a belltech lowering kit on it. the owner says the front is lowered with 2" drop spindles and the rear with 4" hangers. my question is, how will this effect my towing capabilities if i were to buy this truck. also, what is involved with getting rid of the lowering kit? i know stock spindles for the front, but what about for the rear? i have never dealt with lowered trucks before. thanks.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I could be wrong, I would think that the towing capacity would be lower because you do not have the room for the suspension to compress with the weight of the trailer. Not to mention what weight the rear hangers are rated for. As far as returning it to stock goes, yes stock spindles up front and I would think that you could just remove the hangers and bolt the leaf springs back into the stock position. You will probably have to replace the shocks also.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Lowering in this manner wont affect the spring rate at all, but as pointed out the bump stops are now a lot closer.
    Front end wont pose a problem, but for the rear look at the Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) it's just about tailor made for this truck, while it'll maintain stock spring rates unloaded, which is what I assume the previous owner was attempting to achieve by using this method of lowering, when loaded it'll stiffen the spring rate and stop the rear from landing on the bump stops.
    http://www.activesuspension.com/
    I'm presently using this suspension on a 2011 1500 that I lowered 2" in the rear, it offers great roll control and helps handle my 18' ski boat or a car trailer well.