1994 K1500 rear wheel lock up

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Brian350, Apr 20, 2017 at 8:12 PM.

1. Brian350

Brian350 New Member

So I was leaving work today and in the driveway there is a pretty good size step, say about three inches, where two slabs of concrete have separated, that I go over every day. As soon as the right rear wheel went over it, it locked up. Honestly I don't even know if that had anything to do with it or not. I was probably going around 5 mph and I may have been touching the brakes but I don't think so. I put it in reverse and gave it some gas, it gave a slight bang in the rear and then seemed fine. I drove home with no issues. I lifted the rear and pulled that tire and drum off but I don't see anything wrong. I was really hoping to find something busted but it all looks tip top. The emergency brake has been disconnected since I got it, so that's not it. It wasn't just dragging it was fully locked. I'm wondering if an axle bearing could be the culprit but nothing seems loose and I don't hear any noise. Just seeing if you guys have any ideas. Thanks

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

An axle bearing won't do that.....something broken inside the diff could do it. Along with the rear brakes.

3. Brian350

Brian350 New Member

Yeah, I just remembered my old man telling me he had a bearing freeze up on him once, but that was a good 60 years ago.

4. Brian350

Brian350 New Member

Just wondering, if it was something in the rear end wouldn't it lock up both tires? It does have a posi rear end, if that matters.

5. RayVoy

If a bearing freezes it just spins the whole bearing and damages the axle, or the housing. You'll hear it long before that happens.
    No, I suspect the diff would only seize on side.
    Neither of the above is likely to fix it'self.
    I suspect a brake problem.

6. Cowboytrukr

Cowboytrukr Member

I'm with Ray on this one. Don't let the urban myth confuse you. The rear end on the 94 isn't a true posi like you may have been used to on older muscle cars that would lay down two beautiful stripes on takeoff.

7. csoldfield

csoldfield New Member

My '94 K1500 will happily spin one rear wheel while the other remains stationary. Nothing locking about mine!

I've noticed on mine if the rear drums get very wet, then the vehicle sits for a while (day), next time I brake the rear will grab real hard to the point the wheel will momentarily lock up/skid. This disappears after applying the brakes a couple times. Did you drive through deep water earlier that day?

8. Brian350

Brian350 New Member

Nope, didn't drive through any water and it hasn't rained for a while. I'm thinking the brakes are the more likely thing but they look fine. I haven't had any issue for the past two days but I'm just worried something will happen when I'm on the freeway or something.

9. RayVoy

You should have someone with some brake (drums and shoes) knowledge look at the assembly.

xPosTech likes this.