1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1994 Silverado Lost Key Need Help

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by pondfishr, Dec 4, 2011.

1. pondfishr

pondfishr Member

Hello, I have lost the keys to my 1994 Chevrolet K1500 Z71. I called the dealer and they said if the truck was over 12 years old they could not make a new key. I find it hard to believe that there is not a database somewhere that could match a key to my truck. I have the clear title in my name and also have the VIN#. A local locksmith wants $165.00 to take the steering collumn apart to fix the issue. I really don't want to go that route due to the cost and also having a stranger take my truck apart. I locked my keys in my truck a few years back at a Sunbelt rental store and they opened my door with a master key in less than 3 seconds. Something tells me there should be an easier way than hiring the locksmith and taking the truck apart. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!! Bill
  2. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects Rockstar 100 Posts

Sorry to hear about this, Ive lost the keys to my truck once too but i had a full spare set and ended up finding them in my house. if i were you the first thing i would do is look for em, but i doubt you havent. Lol. Sine the CK trucks are older, their not really that 'safe' i should say with the key locks, i have one key to open the door, but i have like 3 other keys for diffferent applications that arnt made for the keylock on the door, that accually open my truck's door. Haha try it!! but be careful, it would wear out your key locks. If you cant take it to a dealer and dont trucks a stranger, I would say probably to talk to an expert mechanic. Someone thats certified. i wish you luck man.
  3. pondfishr

pondfishr Member

Yes I have looked for them. I feel pretty bad about the whole thing. When I bought the truck 10 years ago it came with only one set of keys. Dummy me had been using the same set all this time and never made a spare. It is not a daily driver, I only drive it occasionally. My wife borrowed my keys and took the ignition key off the ring in case I needed my truck while she was gone. Needless to say I haven't seen the key since then.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You might want to research the VATS system GM used for there ignition systems during that model year, because you can actually buy a new lock cylinder and matching key set for about $50.00 and do it yourself. VATS is the early version of Theftlock. You would have to find your two ignition wires, and measure the resistance between the two wires, then use this towards ohms law and add a resistor/s in line and solder it together. This enables you to not have to have a chipped key to start the vehicle, and then again this may not apply to this specific vehicle....
  5. pondfishr

pondfishr Member

I don't believe my original key was chipped it was just a straight metal key on a square plastic covered GM logo key blank. Also do I need to have access to the VATS system if I buy the new lock cylinder? I am not familiar with VATS. Also do you know where I can buy the new cylinder?
  6. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

A locksmith cant make a key from the door lockset? I would think you could pull one of those easier than the ing lockset.
  7. pondfishr

pondfishr Member

Got a key now... Thank you for your help.