1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1994 Suburban - Replace fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by R Runner, Jan 3, 2010.

1. R Runner

R Runner New Member

I just purchased a 1994 Suburban (see sig) and I was wondering, since the truck is 16 years old and most likely has never had the fuel pump replaced, should I do it as a precaution?
  2. R Runner

R Runner New Member

Sorry..... The truck has 97,000 miles.
  3. kadiddle

kadiddle New Member

suburbans are notorious for the fuel pump going out. Guy at autozone said you need to clean the fuel tank to like new condition and you will not have to replace fuel pump again. He said the problem was with the gas gunking up but now they put something in the fuel that won't cause this. I find this out after my 3rd fuel pump!!!
  4. djturnz

djturnz Member

If it were me, I'd just wait for it to go bad. Sometimes you'll know when it is starting to. You'll find that if you crank on the key right away, it won't start, but if you turn the key to ON and wait a couple seconds, then start it, it will start right up. Thats usually a sign that it's starting to go.

It could also just quit one day with no warning.
  5. hundojoe

hundojoe Rockstar 100 Posts

Runner till she breaks.
  6. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

You don't have to worry much. The fuel pumps in the 1996+ Vortec models are much more prone to random failure.
    Unless you run the tank low all the time, just drop some good strong cleaner in there once in a while to keep the pump and strainer clean.