1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1994 suburban smog

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by turbo8, Feb 24, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. turbo8

turbo8 New Member

getting 350 ppm HC reading at idle and 46 at 2500rpm everything else passes, what would cause this? low compression?
  2. Bookem

Bookem New Member

Worn out cam, or low compression. I've seen readings like that with as few as 100,000 on the 5.7. Unless you have to pass emissions or worried about power, I wouldn't worry about it.
  3. turbo8

turbo8 New Member

ya it needs to pass smog, think this might be the last year for the suburban haha almost 300,000 miles on original engine, no work ever needed
  4. turbo8

turbo8 New Member

so i did a compression test and i was getting about 115 psi on all cylinders that seems pretty low is that low for these?
  5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Make sure the truck is nice and warmed up before you bring it in for a smog test. That is the biggest problem usually.

Take it out for a nice long highway drive and blow the gunk out before the smog check.

That compression does sound low but then with that man miles that is to be expected. The truck doesn’t have to pass new truck standards, just for the year it was made.

If you know the guy doing the test he just might let you rev the engine up to where it will pass. Just a thought.
  6. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member 100 Posts

might run a can of seaFoam in the vaccc side and in the fuel tank and a can of engine restore in a fresh oil change and run for 2 tanks worth of gas and drive untill good and warm and retest....i bet all pickup and passes. i got 321,000 miles and original cats and O2s and she passes just fine and gives me 18MPG out of the 35 still.....mike
  7. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Has the cat been replaced yet? Mine gave out at 240k or so. New cat and a 3" catback system only set me back $240.