1994 Suburban Solid Axle Conversion Leaf Springs ?????

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Campanella Customs, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Campanella Customs

Campanella Customs New Member

I have a 1994 Sub 1500 4wd. My next project on this truck is a solid axle swap for the front and Dana 60 swap for the rear. I have a Dana 44 passenger side pumpkin out of a late 70's early 80's Dodge. I have most of the basic mumbo jumbo covered. My problem is finding donor leaf springs for the front. Any Ideas?

2. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site! I hope someone will be able to help you with your question! Good Luck!

3. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

are you gettin a kit for your truck to swap it in or what cuz some have recommendations with the kit, if you are fabbin it up go with the dodge's leafs or just go with the 87-91 suburbans leafs? it think thats what i saw to do

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I always like the earlier Chevy 60" leafs, long and flexible for some serious suspension twisting.

5. Campanella Customs

Campanella Customs New Member

What donor vehicle would I find these springs in? And by chance do you know if the pin is centered or not? Thanks for all the help

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

No I am not getting a kit. I have a buddy who did this swap into and S-10 and he is helping me out with most of it but I need to find the right springs. The dodge springs were too sagged and would put my front axle too far back. He used Dakota springs which surprisingly have a larger capacity than my factory rear springs. My problem mostly is getting a spring with the pin a location that locate my front diff correctly.

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Early 90's model 1/2 ton GM trucks, 3/4 ton springs are a little shorter and stiffer but work well also.
    If I remember correctly the pins are about 3" back from center, but these springs can be run forwards or backwards without any issues.
    Once you settle on the springs you want to use you can set your pin position by moving your frame shackle mounts.
    I prefer setting the axle forward a few inches, trim the front fender and bumper for tire clearance and get a better angle of approach.

7. 240 Jordy

240 Jordy New Member

8. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You might want to reconsider the Dodge axles. Pretty sure the width of the spring perches is different than Chevy. Also, a 10 bolt front is easier to set up than a Dana44. What are you planning to use for a transfer case? Your Sub has a drivers side drop NP241.

9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I think I've seen a few people use the 44's out of a International Scout. And the springs from a custom shop..There are a few here in NJ

10. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!