1995 block and Vortec Heads into 1999 Suburban?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by parkersnine, Jul 24, 2010.

1. parkersnine

parkersnine New Member

My brother in law has a 1995 5.7 complete long block with 135k. Used no oil but had piston slap for a few seconds upon cranking. Its been in a shop about three years. I have a 1999 Suburban with 183K and have high oil consumption. I understand I can use the block but need to get vortec heads and then use my original fuel injection set up.
    I plan on useing this to tow a trailer and would like to modify it a little for better towing . Has anyone done this swap?

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I personally would pull and modify the motor that you already have for ease of use. But that is my 2bits.

3. parkerflatfour

parkerflatfour New Member

Can a anybody tell me if its physically possible? I understand all the intake will need to be swapped out.I see other posts stating cooling differences in different generations and deck height differences. What generation is a 1995 TBI considered? The whole issue is trying to have the limping burb to use while assembling the other for the swap.

4. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

If its a vortec block, yes..if not , no...the exhaust and all is different as far as i know and its a 2 rear main seal gen IV engine yours is 1 rear and gen V ....can it be done , yes..but a lot more work and money then just go thru yours...its probably your valve seals on the heads and not the engine that u have problems with....even if it would be the rings..thats an easy fix instead of changing everything over.

But u do know that i could stick a diesel in there for ya ???..lol