Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1995 block and Vortec Heads into 1999 Suburban?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by parkersnine, Jul 24, 2010.

1. parkersnine

parkersnine New Member

My brother in law has a 1995 5.7 complete long block with 135k. Used no oil but had piston slap for a few seconds upon cranking. Its been in a shop about three years. I have a 1999 Suburban with 183K and have high oil consumption. I understand I can use the block but need to get vortec heads and then use my original fuel injection set up.
    I plan on useing this to tow a trailer and would like to modify it a little for better towing . Has anyone done this swap?

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I personally would pull and modify the motor that you already have for ease of use. But that is my 2bits.

3. parkerflatfour

parkerflatfour New Member

Can a anybody tell me if its physically possible? I understand all the intake will need to be swapped out.I see other posts stating cooling differences in different generations and deck height differences. What generation is a 1995 TBI considered? The whole issue is trying to have the limping burb to use while assembling the other for the swap.

4. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

If its a vortec block, yes..if not , no...the exhaust and all is different as far as i know and its a 2 rear main seal gen IV engine yours is 1 rear and gen V ....can it be done , yes..but a lot more work and money then just go thru yours...its probably your valve seals on the heads and not the engine that u have problems with....even if it would be the rings..thats an easy fix instead of changing everything over.

But u do know that i could stick a diesel in there for ya ???..lol