1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1995 Burb 6.5 stops running

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 38racn, Oct 24, 2009.

1. 38racn

38racn New Member

I have a 1995 3/4 ton Burb with a 6.5 diesel that will stop running for no apparent reason. There's plenty of fuel, the fuel pump is working. Sometimes starts right back up and somtimes might take awhile. A local mechanic says the crank position sensor. Is the injector pump wired into this? If not then how could this sensor stop the motor? I need help quick because I work out of town alot and this vehicle is my wife's only vehicle.
    She gets mad when she's stranded
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

Does it only do it when the engine is hot? Or anytime? If it only does it when hot the chip on the injector pump needs replacing....... (it goes bad due to under-hood heat)

check out this forum..... http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php

It's just for GM diesels....... Lots of diesel knowledgeable guys there....
  3. j_k_auto

j_k_auto New Member

could be your pmd also or your ignition switch.
  4. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

pmd is the chip on the injector pump i was talkin about......
  5. 38racn

38racn New Member

It does it hot or cold. I ran a jumper to the fuel pump wire from an ignition source. The fuel pump now is running as long as the key is on, so not the ignition switch. The problem is still there. I ran this jumper on Saturday and the Burb has run fine until tonight. Same old problems.
  6. j_k_auto

j_k_auto New Member

I bet it is the pmd. It has a mind of its own. They will do it hot or cold. It will run and just die whenever it wants to.

Also are you getting any engine codes?
  7. 38racn

38racn New Member

thanks for all the help.
    changed the pmd. all is well.
    would like to share this website. best prices i've found.
    www.ssdieselsupply.com
  8. j_k_auto

j_k_auto New Member

9. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. This site works best for everyone when solutions are found and shared.:sign0173:
    Whenever you can a quick photo or two of your work can be a big help to the DIYer.