1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1995 Burb - replacing a/c and need R&R advice

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by tmbipa57, Sep 3, 2013.

1. tmbipa57

tmbipa57 New Member

I'm glad I found you all. I have a 1995 GMC Suburban K1500 which I love but it is in need of some new parts.
    That is the real difficulty I am experiencing now. It's the little stuff like control knobs and the light bulbs for the overhead console.

Right now I'm replacing the AC compressor and accumulator (naturally) but the Haynes repair manual dodges this job and is not much help. Funny too because they have a picture of the compressor using it to show the electrical connector that must be disconnected. But also right there in the picture is the pressure switch which they make, no mention of, or the, necessity to, disconnect it. It also has the rear evaporator for the rear AC. I'm trying to find the location of the orifice tube to avoid unhooking connections that don't need to be touched.

If this board has the factory repair manual somewhere here I would appreciate being directed to it.

Best regards,

Tom
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

We're looking at installing a wiki system in the next few weeks/months where we can list out some of those types of resources.

Until then, there might be a member on here who's got it and they might be able to give you what you need.
  3. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member

Welcome to GMTC!
  4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

I moved your thread to the correct section of our Forum and edited your title to match your topic, as this will get you more responses/opinions.

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but someone should be along soon who can help.

Good Luck!
  5. tmbipa57

tmbipa57 New Member

Thank you very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much!

- - - Updated - - -

That will be very helpful
  6. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

You might check your local public library. Almost all I have been to have an auto repair section (usually in the reference area) with professional repair manuals. Many of them are also getting online subscriptions to online auto repair sources which may have AC repair information.
  7. tmbipa57

tmbipa57 New Member

I did try that angle with the county library. They only had a Chilton's Manual. I bought that manual and found it literally said nothing about any kind of A/C repair. I was stunned. The Haynes manual was more informative than the Chilton's?

Because of the Federal and State laws on handling the Freon charge, Chilton's didn't even show (even if the system had lost it's charge) how to remove or install any AC components. Even Haynes showed how to remove/install the compressor, accumulator, and condenser.
  8. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good idea about the library!! Most libraries have a lot of stuff online and allow access to those that are their members. If you're a member to a local library, check their website (and register if you have not already) and see if they have anything in their system.

Also below is a link that contains a few different ways to get access to a Chilton's online. I don't think any of those methods are still working but you may want to give them a try also.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/30625-New-chilton-site-link?highlight=chilton