1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1995 c3500 Door Issue; Latch or Linkage?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by scoutdoc, Oct 7, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. scoutdoc

scoutdoc New Member

Purchased a 1995 c3500 dualy pickup w/115,000 miles, a couple of months ago. We pull a 3 horse gooseneck trailer with it and it does that with ease. The passenger outside door handle stopped working although the inside handle will open the door. I bought a new handle and went to a truck salvage yard to buy another tailgate (I crunched the tailgate that came with the truck... too painful to tell you how I did that) and while at the salvage yard, I asked to see the inside of the door of a similar chevy truck so I could figure out how to replace the door handle. That was very helpful and I was ready to replace the handle myself. Took the truck to the body shop to have the replacement tailgate painted and they offered to install the handle for free so I jumped on that. Well the tailgate looks amazing, but the problem was not the door handle, they said it was the latch or linkage so my pass door still has the problem. I have been searching online for info about replacing the latch and or linkage, but no luck.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I thought I would ask other chevy truck owners for some "been there, done that" guidance. By the by, I had the truck bed sprayed with a "Ray-Shield" bed liner and the liner comes up over the rails of the bed. Looks amazing and should protect the bed from all the use we give it. It dropped a few years off the truck.

My husband is gone for the next 3 days, so I would like to fix the latch before he gets back, hope that is doable.

Teri
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. While I can't help with your issue I wanted to welcome you to GM Truck Club, Teri! :great:
  3. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club Teri, it's good to have you aboard. :glasses:
  4. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the club. The only help that I can give you is to go to www.lmctruck.com, and you can look at a breakdown of the door components. It might help. Good luck
  5. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hello Teri! Welcome to the site.

The linkages are held to the handle by a nylon grommet and a snap-on lock fastener. I hate them because once they break, you HAVE to go to the dealer to get a replacement. The linkage is nothing more than a metal rod about 1/4" in diameter with bends in it that fits through a hole on the door handle and then a hole on the latching mechanism. There is nothing magical about it at all. It sounds like either the nylon grommet broke or the snap clip came off and released the linkage. Pull the inner door panel and look inside at the rod that goes between the handle and the latch mechanism below it. You will see pretty quickly how it works and which end of it has come apart.

The hardest part of this fix is taking the door panel off, and that's not that difficult if you take your time!
  6. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the club Teri. I wish you the best of luck with your repair. I know I would be impressed if I came home and my wife fixed the truck!
  7. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club; hope to see you and your husband stick around.
  8. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the G M TC !
  9. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

****Thread Moved to Appropriate Section*****