Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1995(earlier too)-1999 High and low on at same time.

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Conlan Rose, May 10, 2013.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Has anyone out there ever figured out how to do this mod? I was thinking of buying a new set of headlight harnesses and adding a relay for low and high and then use a diode between them. The older trucks don't come from the factory with headlight relays so it makes everything difficult. I would leave the stock wires in place just incase the mod didn't work so that way it would be a really quick change back to stock.

Any ideas any one?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

3. 95K1500

95K1500 New Member

go on LMC truck's website I have seen a kit in their catalog before. not sure how much it costs
  4. Conlan Rose

They DO have kits at LMC, but they are just relays like I already have laying around. [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] what was done in that video won't work with 95 and up trucks because the headlight switch and bright switch are part of two separate systems in terms of connectors. The only place they meet it the headlight switch, but the lights would burn up the light power feed.

If I only buy two sets of headlight wire harnesses it will cost me like $20 for the mod since I have the wire, relays and diode.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

CR,
    There's some material for you (supplied as a response to a tag I made, there) in the Guess the Next Poster thread. It might or might not help. It's for 99-02 trucks ... which have the same kinda issue you do (no relays).
  6. Conlan Rose

I'm not sure if the 95-99/98 OBS trucks are set up like that.

The pinout for the headlight switch is this:
    [TABLE="width: 588"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Pin
    [/TD]
    [TD]Wire Color
    [/TD]
    [TD]Description
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]B
    [/TD]
    [TD]Gray
    [/TD]
    [TD]Courtesy Lamp
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]C
    [/TD]
    [TD]Red
    [/TD]
    [TD]Battery Fused Feed
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]D
    [/TD]
    [TD]Pink
    [/TD]
    [TD]Ignition Fused Feed
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]E
    [/TD]
    [TD]Dark Green
    [/TD]
    [TD]Instrument Panel Lamps Dimmer Switch
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]G
    [/TD]
    [TD]Yellow
    [/TD]
    [TD]Headlamp Switch Output
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]H
    [/TD]
    [TD]Orange
    [/TD]
    [TD]Battery Fused Feed
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]L
    [/TD]
    [TD]Purple
    [/TD]
    [TD]Interior Lamp Defeat Switch
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]M
    [/TD]
    [TD]White
    [/TD]
    [TD]Courtesy Lamp
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]N
    [/TD]
    [TD]Purple w/ White Stripe
    [/TD]
    [TD]LED Dimming Signal
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]R
    [/TD]
    [TD]Black
    [/TD]
    [TD]Ground
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]S
    [/TD]
    [TD]Brown
    [/TD]
    [TD]Park Lamp Feed
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

The switch between the high and low is based in the wiper control lever. I was simply going to tap into the low and high factory wires and use those to control the relays, then using new headlight harnesses I would attach in the headlights switched via the relays. I could then just add a diode which I have laying around into the circuit. With having the aux fuse box I have the open terminals and if the system failed I could still use the factory headlight harnesses.

IMG_20130513_083641_924.jpg IMG_20130513_083535_214.jpg IMG_20130513_083553_836.jpg
  7. Pikey

I have a GM electrical manual for a 1995 truck. If it is the same and you need a diagram, I can take some pics of it for you and post them.
  8. Conlan Rose

Not sure if it is, but hell why not my Hayes/Chilton manual only gives crude diagrams that are rarely helpful.

I really want a full 1996 GM service manual for C/K trucks and Suvs. I found one on amazon, but it costs like $250-300...

Oh, btw today I looked under the dash for my DRL components and my truck has all of them, but the DRLs don't work...
  9. Pikey

I will try to get them posted in the morning. I have the GM service manual and the GM "driveability, emissions and electrical diagnostic" manual for 1995. I have a friend that worked at GM power train. He walked out of work one day and said that there was a dumpster full of manuals, this was in 1998. So, knowing that I had a 1995 he grabbed the two for me. I have to say that much of it was the same for my sister's 1998 tahoe. There were obvious differences like the fact that she had a vortec, but much of the accessory wiring was the same.
  10. Conlan Rose

Awesome. For some reason my driver door window won't go up or down any more. This happened once before but it only lasted a short while before it stopped being weird. Its been a week now and it's pissing me off. The switch clicks like its sending a signal but nothing happens no motor noise nothing. It seems to happen just as the weather gets nice and I begin to use the windows again.