1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1995 gasoline Chevy Kodiak does not start, injectors do not spray

Discussion in 'Medium-duty Truck Forum' started by ichudov, Feb 25, 2012.

1. ichudov

ichudov New Member

I have a 1995 Chevy Kodiak with a GASOLINE engine. It does not start and the TBI (throttle body) injectors do not spray.

We replaced the in-tank fuel pump and the injector bodies. The tank has 10 gallons of gas.

The truck sat for two years without being run.

1) The engine cranks great
    2) If I put gasoline into the throttle, the engine does start, and dies when the gas burns off
    3) The injectors do not spray fuel
    4) We replaced in-tank fuel pump and injector bodies
    5) At best, injectors drip fuel, at worst, nothing comes out
    6) If I remove the pressure regulator assembly and turn the key to START, fuel sprays out of the orifice at a great flow

I cannot make sense of the above. How would I approach diagnosing my problem? Why would the fuel not spray?

Thanks, guys!
  2. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Injectors may be full of varnish from lengthy time sitting. When you replaced fuel filter, did you also thoroughly clean the fuel lines and tank?
    Moisture could have been present and rust may be an issue. As well as long standing sediment being forced into the injectors. Clean all lines and maybe replace the regulator . If it is flowing with out the regulator then it seems the reg would be at some fault
  3. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog New Member Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

yep Coach Your diagnostics sounds correct, we use a injection purge kit here in our shop, as most of our trucks sit out the winter months. It takes about an hour, and they run like tops. if you could borrow/ rent a purge kit you will be topkicking around real soon. you still may need to change the regulator IMG00102-20120317-0817.jpg this is the purge kit we use here....
    Oh I forgot to mention we use Klean Flow products (injector cleaner product 695 constrate) in our shop, but there are other products available just as good
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  4. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Great info post Dirty Dog. Nice picture as well which shows the kit. We had one at a shop I used to work for and as you we had a regular PM for this
    procedure.
    As with all vehicles proper PM is basic to long lasting equipment.
  5. dipstick

dipstick New Member 100 Posts

You have a few things that will keep injectors from firing . Need to diagnose a few things before changing pump and things.
    A bad ignition module ..bad pickup coil ..bad ecm.. bad grounds at thermostat housing. Will keep injector from firing.
    Can you hear pump run when key turned to on? Can test injectors with a light see if they are getting power.
    And ground.