1995 gmc shift cable

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by khammond979, Mar 24, 2011.

1. khammond979

khammond979 New Member

I have a 1995 gmc sierra and I have recently replaced the shift cable on it and now it is really hard to move the shift lever on the steering column. You can move it but you have to use two hands and u can not move it back up the column at all. I have tried to adjust the cable but may not be doing to correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

2. SkullMountainRider

SkullMountainRider New Member

Is this a new cable? It could be faulty, (binding). Is it routed properly? (Twisted?)

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Is it possible that you had the shifter in park & the trans in low when you adjusted & tightened down your adjustment? Having to use two hands to move the shifter indicates something wrong with your adjustment or ??? If the shifter & the trans were at opposite ends of the spectrum when you tightened it down then all you're doing is stretching the cable when you're trying to force the shifter. Best thing to do is disconnect it at one end & see if it moves easily. If it does make sure your trans detent is indexed at park as well as your shifter & go again.

4. khammond979

khammond979 New Member

Yea the cable is new and as far as i can see its not twisted anywhere and the trans and lever are both in park. When I disconnect the cable from the trans arm the lever moves freely. and i can shift it it is just very hard to do so, so i thought i had it adjusted at a weird angle or something. So i have no idea where to go from there.