1995 gmc sierra engine help

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by toofarr4u, Dec 7, 2012.

1. toofarr4u

toofarr4u New Member

it needs a new engine, its got the 5.0L 305 efi, i was looking for a motor and stumbled across this: http://greenbay.craigslist.org/pts/3357329095.html
    will it fit? if not what is needed to fit? is that a good price?

2. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The motor will bolt right in place of your current 305. The biggest hurdle will be splicing the TPI harness to your truck chassis harness to make everything work together. You'll need wiring schematics for your truck and for the car the motor came out of. Also, the TPI requires the fuel system to run at 43 PSI. Your current TBI runs 12 to 15 PSI. So, You'll have to change out the pump at minimum, and at most upgrade the entire fuel system. I personally don't think it's worth all the trouble and money invested. First of all a 1987 TPI 305 was only rated at 215hp and 295 lb ft of torque. Second that engine is 25 years old and will most likely need a rebuild. If I was in your shoes I'd look for a TBI 350 which made 210 hp and torque was 300 lb ft . It'll bolt right in and all you'll need is the 350s larger fuel injectors and a prom chip to get it running.

3. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I gotta be honest here... This swap isn't worth the effort that it will take to do it. At the end of the day, you will still have a 305. You would be better off to find a 350 and go with that. Either way, I would keep it TBI unless you don't mind wiring. Another alternative is to buy the engine and swap all of the external parts over to make it a TBI engine.

Just my .02.

4. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

The price is good. The easiest and most practical thing to do if you used it would be to swap your intake manifold onto that engine and sell the TPI parts off separately.
    Good Luck and God Bless

5. toofarr4u

toofarr4u New Member

thanks all! i figured id be able to score it and put it in and gain some hp, but like you guys said not work it, wirings not a problem for me lol.