Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1995 Motorhome on P30 Chasis 454 won't stay running

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Rascl93, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Rascl93

Rascl93 New Member

I need some help and advice. We have a 1995 Gulfstream Sunvoyager motorhome on a P30 chasis. The engine was torn down when we bought it - long story short, after having heads redone, new piston, new valves, new lifters & rods, we have the engine back together. We have replaced both temp sensors in the heads (driver's & passenger's side), checked for vacuum leaks, new fuel pump, new cap & rotor, and still have a problem.

It will start and run for a few seconds then shut down. If you can catch it before it shuts down and feather the throttle, you can keep it running, but not good. It will not hold a steady RPM.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.
  2. Rascl93

Rascl93 New Member

Forgot to mention - it's only got a little over 20,000 miles on it. Bank repo + trash through the throttle body = trashed piston.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It sounds like a classic fuel delivery problem.

Pump, filter, or throttle body.

With the info provided, I'd lean toward the throttle body.
  4. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Double check your wiring order. I've seen a lot of rough running engines with a single wire swapped at the cap.

-Skippy.
  5. Rascl93

Rascl93 New Member

It will start, but then it shuts down. Almost like something is telling it to shut down. Wondering if we have a fuel pressure issue.
  6. RayVoy

Perhaps, this was my answer in post #3
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  7. Skippy

Is this a carburetor , TBI, or electronic injection fuel delivery system?
  8. Rascl93

Rascl93 New Member

TBI - and yes RayVoy, your post is what leaned me in that direction. No need to get snotty about it. :tongue: If you would have read my original post thoroughly you probably would not have mentioned fuel pump since I stated that it is new.

Anyway, it is getting fuel to start. Just not sure where to go from here. Should I rebuild the throttle body or check in to the computer.

Thanks everyone for your input.
  9. RayVoy

Sorry Rascl, that was not my intent, just wanted you to reread my first post.

I saw that you had installed a new fuel pump, I was just saying your description sounded like the classic fuel delivery problem and listed the main pieces.

I would look for a rebuilt throttle body, they will usually take your old one on a trade-in.

Glad you found your problem.
  10. Skippy

I'm going to call this out, just in case you're unaware. Aftermarket fuel pumps have a higher than normal failure rate. It's been my personal experience that about 1 in 10 go out relatively quickly, requiring a replacement. In fact, two of the last 6 I've done had to be replaced, one in less than a week (was bad from the get go), and the second within 12 months. I strongly recommend you put a fuel pressure tester on the rail and make sure you're getting what you expect.

Skippy