1995 silverado steering column question

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by krjackson, Nov 8, 2012.

1. krjackson

krjackson New Member

I have a 1995 silverado K1500 and there is a part on the steering column called the column shift mechanism and on this part is a cable that I think is called the cable interlock.The cable hooks into the steering column at the end of the key lock cylinder.The cable moves in and out when you move the shifter.You can look into the hole in the column where the cable hooks into and something moves over the hole to block the cable from moving when the key is in the off position.when I hook the cable up I can start the truck and put it in any gear that I want and back to park with no trouble,but when I turn the key off I can turn the engine off but I can not turn the key to the off position.When the cable is unhooked my only problem is that you can shift the truck into any gear with the engine off and the key removed.I just wanted to ask and see if anyone knows what goes on in the steering column where the cable hooks in,and does anyone think it is worth replaceing the column shifter to fix the gear shift locking while the truck is turned off?