1995 Suburban - Door "Gap" problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by alaskajoe, Dec 20, 2013.

1. alaskajoe

alaskajoe New Member

Thanks to all in advance for any time and advice. Also, I apologize if I am not the best at describing my issue(s)...I am not the most mechanic-minded.

I just bought a used 1995 Suburban 2500. It's in pretty good condition, with surprisingly low miles for the age. There are a few minor cosmetic/body issues, though, and I am hoping they are cheaply or easily fixed.

The one really bugging me right now, more than anything, is the driver door. It opens and closes fine, latches, etc., but when I am driving, I can hear the wind rushing outside moderately. It looks like the door isn't aligning properly along the upper front and top. Just enough that I can see it visually.

If I am not explaining this well, I can try to elaborate if I can.

What does it take to fix something like this? Would a body shop charge me a huge rate do you think?

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

It may just be worn hinge pins causing it to sag. Most older GM trucks have this problem because of how heavy the door is. If you do it at a shop it shouldn't take more than 2 hours of labor.

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I agree with [MENTION=52248]Conlan Rose[/MENTION], usually hinge pins. Open the door and try to lift the outside (the side where the door handle is). If the door will move up and down, the pins are worn. It's an easy fix.

4. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Since you say you are not that mechanically minded, I might suggest taking it to a body shop. Those guys repair doors all the time. Regular mechanic shops might be a little unfamiliar with the job.