Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1995 Suburban Transmission brace???

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Crazycoyote82, May 17, 2011.

1. Crazycoyote82

Crazycoyote82 New Member

While looking into my my suburban is leaking oil, (which appears to be the oil cooler lines) I noticed that the brace on the driver side doesnt have a bolt in it on one side. Therefore it move when everything vibrates. It moves and hits the oil cooler line. Well now I figured out why it started to leak however I need to know what size of bolt goes into the brace. Also whats the easiest and cheapest way to fix the line? I read on here about new lines cost upwards of $300. However when i looked at autozones website it says its around $20 per line. Am I looking at the right line? Will this line work and go from the cooler all the way to the oil filter adapter? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Dorman-Engine-Oil-Cooler-Hose/1995-Chevrolet-K1500-1-2ton-Sub-4WD/_/N-j1yodZ93yeo?counter=1&filterByKeyWord=oil+cooler&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=434442_118221_0_
    Do I need anything else to change the line? Im assuming that I must drain out the oil first to replace the line.

So, a summary.....
    Question 1- What size of bolt do I need and where can I get it from?
    Question 2- Is the the correct line to go from cooler to adapter?
    Question 3- Do I need anything else to change it?
    Question 4- Do I need to drain the oil first?

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Jesse, I'm not sure where this bolt is that you're referring to, so you will have to determine the size you need, but any grade 5 bolt should be strong enough. I looked at the line in your link & it looks like the complete line. It's not a repair kit where you would be just puting in a section to repair your bad section of line, it's the complete replacement. If it doesn't come with new O rings be sure & purchase them so you don't get into the middle of your replacement & have to run to the store to get them. Also, even if it says it comes with new O rings, be sure & open it to make sure they are there. They sometimes forget to put them in.
    As for draining the oil first, NO you don't have to. Not the oil in the pan anyway, but oil will run out of the line. There is a minimal amount of oil in the cooler & the lines. The easiest thing to do is disconnect the line from the oil filter adapter end first (because it is the low end) & just let it drain into a small can/bucket etc. This can take some time for it to drain if the oil is cold. If you're replacing the top line, it won't drain the cooler, & you will only be draining the oil that's in the line itself. There aren't any special tools needed for this job. If you have the average weekenders set of tools you'll be good. Be sure & use back up wrenches when removing & installing the line.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. Crazycoyote82

Crazycoyote82 New Member

Sounds good except im not sure what your referring to is regards to a back up wrench?

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Forgot to mention. Thank you for your response. Its sites like these that keep the average person in the game...

4. stephan

Your welcome. That's why we're here :) By back up wrenches, I mean you have to use a second wrench to hold the fittings from turning while you are using your other wrench to unscrew the line. I can't say for sure that your '96 has the unions, but if you look at both ends of your line & you see 2 hex fittings, then you have a union fitting there & you will have to use a second wrench, or backup wrench to hold that fitting in, & keep it from turning or unscrewing, when you are unscrewing the line itself.

5. Crazycoyote82

Crazycoyote82 New Member

kind of like the fuel filter then?

6. stephan

Yes, that's a good example Jesse, or any other place you see 2 hexes right next to each other, it's a good indication that you need to be using a backup wrench to hold it.
    Can you give a better description of where this bolt is missing from that you were talking about above?
    I can't think of a brace that is close enough to the oil cooler lines that could have rubbed a hole in it & caused it to leak.

7. Crazycoyote82

Crazycoyote82 New Member

Ill do a bit better and just post some pics... First one shows how close it is. 2nd pic shows where it missing the bolt.

sub.jpg
    sub2.jpg

8. stephan

Good idea about the pics but I'm still not sure what I'm seeing. Are you talking about the bracket that holds the 2 oil cooler lines together & keeps them from flopping around? There are 2 bolts in this bracket, 1 to hold the wavy clamp on the oil cooler lines & keep them together & 1 bolt to secure this same bracket to engine/mount. Is this what you're seeing? I'm guessing one of these bolts fell out & allowed the lines to flop around & rub a hole in it. Is this correct?

9. Crazycoyote82

Crazycoyote82 New Member

Im not sure if its a bracket for the lines. Theres another brace just like this one on the other side of the motor/tranny.

10. stephan

OK, this brace sounds like you're talking about the steel part of your motor mount, which is where the bracket that supports the oil cooler line actually bolts to. So are you talking about a bolt that is missing from the motor mount, or a bolt missing from the bracket that holds the oil cooler line to the motor mount??
    Can you wipe some of the oil off there & put a bright light down in that area & take another pic? I just can't see what you're pointing at cuz it's so dark.