1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1995 Suburban Transmission downshift and "Service Engine" light

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by KeithR, Feb 8, 2013.

1. KeithR

KeithR New Member

After about 15 min on the highway, the "Service Engine" light comes on. It stays on as long as I'm driving then shuts off when I stop. Upon restarting it stays off as long as I'm not driving at highway speeds. A new wrinkle is, when driving at highway speed, after the light comes on, at a seemingly random point, it feels like the trans downshifts for a second, engine rpm increases, then it upshifts again and rpm drops back to normal for the speed, and the "Service Engine" light goes off. This all happens very quickly, just a second or two. I have experienced the "Service Engine" light returning again after another 15 or so minutes, but not the downshift in the same trip. All trips where this has occurred have been less than an hour in length and I haven't had cause to make a longer trip since the shift issue started, so I haven't seen the combination of symptoms over a longer period yet. Yesterday I made a half-hour trip where the trans did the down-up shift on the way out, but not on the way back, same route, similar speeds each way. I'm guessing that the light and shift are related to torque converter lockup since that doesn't occur until over 40mph (about 42-43 by my observation), but the last time I had it checked no codes came up in the diagnostic. Any insights out there?
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

My guess as well.

The code(s) should remain in history. Perhaps the tech is not looking at history.