1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1996 1500 5.7 squeal

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Rbernsdo, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Rbernsdo

Rbernsdo Rockstar

So, I have tried new belts, replaced pulleys and within a week of installing each new thought up problem solution, it is still there. Sometimes i have no squeal at all in start up or driving, sometimes it starts squealing from the get go and will not stop. Might be a stupid question, but could the little wheel on my alternator have a possibility of going out creating a squeal? It does read fine, no problem with it, just sounds like that general area. Also, my ac has not been recharged since I have got my truck (2 years) so I do not know if that could be out or not... I'm thinking that my ac could be yelling at me too... any suggestions? Thank you much.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yep there is a chance that the bearings in the alternator have gone bad.. also did you replace the belt tensioner? since replacing just the pulley wont fix the tensioner if it is bad.
  3. Rbernsdo

Rbernsdo Rockstar

Yes I did, really thinking its the bearing but don't really wanna spend alternator amounts of cash
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Take a look at Daycobelts.com and Gatesbelts.com, they have good info and videos on belt squeals. If you have replaced the water or power steering pumps maybe the pulleys aren't lined up. One of those belt companies has a video on belt pulley alignment.