Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1996 chevy c1500 ac issues help

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MY97CHEVY, Aug 1, 2011.

1. MY97CHEVY

MY97CHEVY New Member

Ok,
    I was fixingt to replace my ac unit, since my compressor went out. Now I have a couple of issues. My fan motor seems to just be running, even in off postion. The fan switch no matter what way you turn it it will not adjust speed( 0ff 1 2 3 4). It all seems to be that the selector for floor vents, or mixed seems to be stuck. Somewhere i seen that there is a module under the dash that burns out alot. I just need to know what to do,

George

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

:sign0016:To the Site George.......The item your asking about, is the Blower Motor Resistor,which is a Common Problem on the 99" and up Trucks/SUV's.....I would guess that it would be a little different on your 1996"....

Below is a link showing how to replace the Blower Motor Resistor in a 96" GMC.......but it should be the same for your 96".....

Link,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu5vw0nWDl4&playnext=1&list=PL227AAF018DF57EC9

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  3. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

It sounds like your control head is probably bad. I've seen them do some pretty crazy things. I don't know if you can get one anywhere except the dealer, but you might check on e-bay.
    Good Luck and God Bless

4. MY97CHEVY

MY97CHEVY New Member

Correction,
    Its a 1997 Chevy c1500 Pickup. I have pull the glove compartment out. Now where is that reisitor. I am uploading some pics, I need to get this changed. DSCN1724.jpg The second Pic shows something like the reistor DSCN1723.jpg or is this it. DSCN1725.jpg

5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The Below picture is a A/C Delco Blower Motor Resistor,

[​IMG]

RESISTOR,BLOWER MOTOR
    Part Number: 15-8788
    Product Notes:
    Blower Motor Resistor

Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1995-1998

Its hard to see, but I think the 2nd picture, the 1 with the Connector is the Resistor.

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  6. MY97CHEVY

MY97CHEVY New Member

Ok, Help again I have changed the switch no change. Now could it be the controller or the fan motor. How can I test the fan motor.

7. thegeniusguy

thegeniusguy New Member

you can test the fan motor..simply by attaching a wire to the positive side of your battery and connected to the positive side of the fan motor.

8. MY97CHEVY

MY97CHEVY New Member

Ok I replaced the selector switch on the control panel. Im working now all speeds. Part less than $20.00 at Autozone.