1996 Chevy G30 Quigley 4X4 Conversion Van

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by popajones, Feb 23, 2014.

1. popajones

popajones New Member

Hey folks! I am new here and figured y'all would be great resources in my quest to restore my newly acquired toy.
    I am twice retired from two major US corporations and have lots of spare time, but not lots of extra spending money so I am looking to do a lot of the work myself.
    I figured I'd start with the easy stuff first, working my way into the more complex things. I am not in any hurry so I want to take my time and do things right the first time. So the exterior trim is where I started. I repainted the grille (looks pretty good too!). Today I was going to remove the wiper arms and repaint them but I ran into a snag. There seems to be no locking clip to allow the arm to release from the motor shaft, nor a cover to pop off to expose a locking nut. It looks like it might be a cam type lock that is released by lifting the arm up and then prying the arm off the shaft, but I'm not sure and I don't want to force it if I am wrong.

I searched around for what I thought were appropriate threads for the van and wiper arms and don't seem to find any. I know this is not the right place to pose my question and thought maybe some of you out there could direct me?

Anyway, good to be here and I am not a mechanic, so I hope that I don't annoy y'all to death with too many silly questions.

Thanx,
    Popa Jones
    Dallas, GA

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Got any pics??

3. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I looked up photos of the arm and the linkage and it's supposed to be retained by a nut on the end of the shaft.

4. popajones

popajones New Member

i am assuming you mean pics of the wiper arms? no, i don't. but i will take and post some today if it will help. if you meant of the van, yes i do. i started an album here (but being new couldn't tell you how to find it). Here's just for the heck of it.
    96G30-4X4.jpg
    Thanx!

- - - Updated - - -

Enkeiavalanche , here are a few. Because of the angle i can't get pics of the bottom of the wiper arm. Hope these help. Thanx!
    DSC04032.jpg DSC04033.jpg DSC04034.jpg DSC04035.jpg DSC04037.jpg

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I thought that was the old arm with a little C clip but it's not Pull up the arm and put a flat head screw driver on the opposite side to bring both up at the same time..Like a cantilever..

6. popajones

popajones New Member

so that's what you think too, that there is a cam (key) that is backed out of a slot when the arm is lifted? then just pry the arm up and off.
    Thanx!