1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1996 GMC Jimmy - Hesitation/Sputtering in 3rd Gear

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by brentb, Jun 29, 2011.

1. brentb

brentb New Member

I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy and when the truck shifts into 3rd gear there is some hesitation and sputtering...usually around 40mph. When I accelerate up to around 55-60mph the hesitation goes away. What could be causing this? A transmission going bad, maybe? I don't really notice any other problems, the truck shifts from gear to gear just fine and there is no real jerking or lag when I shift into drive. The truck has 240,000 miles on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Are you actually feeling the engine missing/sputtering or are you feeling this in the transmission like the torque convertor clutch trying to lock up & unlock? aka torque convertor chug
  3. brentb

brentb New Member

It actually feels like the engine is missing/sputtering because you can hear it.....if that makes any sense.
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

It's difficult to tell you where to start then because what's making it miss at 40-45mph should also make it miss at 55. The only thing I can think of is that the EGR valve might not be closing (it's only suppose to be open in mid range) & is possibly causing a lean condition that allows the missing under the lower rpms just after it shifts into high. Pull the egr & look inside at the valve & see if it's closed & completely seated. See if there's any carbon build up on it. If there is, clean it off so the valve can seat. I don't think this problem is basic tune up issues like plugs, wires, fuel filter, cuz these should affect it all the time, & moreso at faster speeds & more load when you need more fuel & spark, not just after shifting into high gear, but if not the EGR valve, then you might go ahead & take a look at them next.