1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1996 GMC Suburban 4X4 issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ROCKTA, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ROCKTA

ROCKTA New Member

My truck will not go into 4 WD. When I press either the 4 Low or 4 High there is a clunking noise and the lights on the switch just blinks. Any ideas? Tim
  2. ROCKTA

ROCKTA New Member

BTW the fuse is good so I'm assuming its the ACTUATOR. Help?
  3. jasonlepak

jasonlepak New Member

Usually if the lights on the buttons start blinking it means the drivetrain encountered an error while trying to switch to the requested mode.

If possible, see if you can tell where the noise is coming from. If it's in the front it's likely an actuator.
    If it's coming from the transfer case, it could be a couple of things.
  4. ROCKTA

ROCKTA New Member

I must be mistaken about the clunk. There is no noise when the button is pushed. Right now its a little cold to get out under the truck. Need to check for broken wires also.

5. rwdelling

rwdelling New Member

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

great video! I usually just put it in 4x4, climb under it and see if I can turn the front drive shaft by hand. If I can then the t-case is not engaging. If I can't then I pull the front actuator and check it out.