1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1996 GMC Suburban SLE Radio/Electrical problems

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by mrjoshua, Nov 30, 2010.

1. mrjoshua

mrjoshua New Member

hi everyone - i'm new here and i have a strange problem that i have scoured the web to fix. i have had no luck so far.

i have the stock 8 speaker system with the amplifier under the seat. i do not have onstar or any kind of security system other than the stock keyless entry.

so here we go:
    sometimes the radio works perfectly and sounds great but other times the volume will be blaring and the only way to get it to go down is to turn it up. when you do this it slowly goes down and when you turn it down, it slowly goes up...
    sometimes even when the radio volume is functioning, we'll lose volume in the rear speakers except for a scratch here and there (i think this may be a separate issue)
    at times when it's acting up, we can turn on the air conditioner fan and it will immediately start working perfectly.
    the amp seems to be working fine at this point.
    i don't know if it's related but the airbag light comes on intermittently as well.

anyone run into this or have any thoughts? thanks so much for any help!
  2. Z28Johnny

Z28Johnny New Member

that is a really buggy issue. I had a 96 and the first thing I did was install a full system with new wiring from the 5 channel amp to each speaker. I think this is the best way for stereos. Intermittent electrical problems like what you have can be difficult to diagnose. I would get a scanner hooked up and see if it is throwing any codes.

John
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!
  4. mrjoshua

mrjoshua New Member

thanks for the welcome. i did hook her up and there were no codes...:(

so did replacing the entire system help solve the problem?
  5. Tami

Tami New Member

Well thank GOD its a normal problem and I am NOT crazy (well that will still be debatable in the house).
    My burban is doing the same thing. So out with the old and in with new. I don't know if my husband is going to
    like this idea, then again he is not a big fan of chasing electrical problems.