1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1996 k1500 4x4 5.7 automatic misfire mystery

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Randy_H, Oct 7, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Randy_H

Randy_H New Member

I have never posted for help on a forum before........but I am at the end of my rope.

Multiple random misfires on random cylinders under load.

I have installed new:
    Cam Position Sensor
    Crank Position Sensor
    Distributor cap and rotor
    Plug wires
    Spark Plugs
    Catalytic converters
    All O2 sensors
    Fuel pump and sending unit
    Fuel filter
    MAF sensor
    Air temp sensor

I haven't had the truck long.....not even long enough to get inspection and tags. I drove it for 70 miles Friday afternoon without incident.....later that evening the misfiring started.

No codes. Seems like it is losing current....the reason I say this is because without disconnecting the battery the clock on the radio resets randomly.

PS: no miss at idle no matter what rpm.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Randy
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've had similar problems that I traced to a loose connection at the battery post. Grab a wrench and quickly check to make sure those connections are clean and tight.
  3. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What kind of plugs and wires did you use?
  4. Randy_H

Randy_H New Member

I will try this in a few.....I didn't even think of that.

- - - Updated - - -

omni pro OE wires (don't know much about them took Oreilly's advice)
    acdelco iridium (every chevy I have had spark knocks without ACDelcos)
  5. Randy_H

Randy_H New Member

PS: cam retart at 0

PS: cam retart at 0

just thought I would add that info.
  6. moogvo

I don't know anything about omni pro wires other than that I wouldn't use them. you need to use AC Delco wires. If you can't find them, you can use Borg Warner (BWD) wires. I have had good luck with those. Get a good set of wires and go from there. I can't begin to tell you how many times I replaced plug wires with something other than AC Delco or BWD and the problem didn't go away. The guys at Advanced O'Reilly Zone stores don't have a clue! You'd be better off buying the OPPOSITE of what they tell you most of the time!

What do you mean by that? Did you adjust the timing? After 1996 you can't adjust timing without a scantool... Just so we are both on the same page... Input from the knock sensor (among other things) tells the ECM how much to advance or retard the timing. Yes, base timing is 0*, but you can't set the base timing with a timing light. you have to use a scan tool.
  7. Randy_H

Randy_H New Member

I will pick some up in a few and install them.

I have a snapon ethos scan tool on it....from what I have read (I am no expert) when you change the distributor these are the steps:
    1. cylinder 1 TDC
    2. rotor to spark wire 1
    3. bring to operating temp
    4. bring engine to >1000 rpm
    5. read cam retard position and turn cap until within +/-2 degrees of 0

- - - Updated - - -

I pulled both battery terminal wires and wire brushed them.

This in turn reset the PCM, I drove very easy until operating temperature then I did 5-6 crank and turn offs. I received a P0304 code.

I changed the Camshaft Position Sensor reset PCM and still has code.

The miss is not "as" bad as it was however it is still there.....does not show up on the live data scan tool now. And it seems like it does not have all of the power....well I know it doesn't it bogs down during a power brake instead of turning the tires over.
  8. Randy_H

Randy_H New Member

I just installed brand new BWD plug wires

I let it idle 5 minutes, then cut it off and cranked it a few times then backed out of the garage and drove to the end of the driveway.....where it started missing and the clock flickered a couple of times and reset to 1:00...then the engine sputtered and cut off.

It started right back up but now it idles horribly and I have a couple of codes.....
    P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor High Input (scan tool reports the engine temp at -40 F)
    P0304 Camsahft Position Sensor Problem
    P1115 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage

I am headed to pick up a temp sensor now.

- - - Updated - - -

Could it be the PCM?

The PCM in this truck (1996 k1500) has no tags but I have researched out that it should have a PCM with service # 16244210
    I have a great running 1997 c3500 with 454 with PCM with service # 16229684

Question is.....can I test with the PCM from the c3500 with 454?
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  9. Randy_H

Randy_H New Member

Installed new BWD temp sensor....idled OK

Test drive....misses horribly.

P0304 code gone (even after several test drives)

Initially it had these codes:
    P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor High Input (scan tool reports the engine temp at 180 F)

I traced the temp sensor wire and found the PO had either broke the wire or something so he had put in 2 butt connectors....I pulled the pin out of the connector and removed the butt connectors and connected the wire back to the OE connector.

Still has the two codes:
    P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor High Input (scan tool reports the engine temp at 180 F)

I will add that before the temp sensor change the inside gauge showed about 150F and now it shows about 235F

It is back to idling OK but misses during test drive whether it is hard or soft acceleration.

:(
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  10. moogvo

This is a bit of a head scratcher... Let me think on this one before throwing more parts at it...