1996 k1500 brake problems simple adjuster spring placement FYI

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by david conrad, May 18, 2017.

1. david conrad

david conrad New Member

I bought a 1996 k1500 Silverado z71 4x4 a few months ago. car lot I bought it from put new brakes front and rear before I bought it. the brakes started slowly failing and pedal went to floor. when I found no leaking anywhere I put on a new master cylinder, the problem was still there. I tracked it down to rear brakes needed adjusted out so I adjusted them. great brakes again, however 3 days later they started to fail again. this time I went on another web site and studied up on the rear brake system and when I took drum off I found the problem. the spring that hold adjuster arm down to adjuster screw was on wrong. for those of you who don't know the spring goes on back side of adjuster arm and shoe so it pulls arm towards adjuster screw. mine was on the front side and was pulling the adjuster arm away from adjuster screw. moved spring and all is great again. FYI

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Hmmmm, how long ago did you make this adjustment?

I've never heard of a spring causing the brake pedal to go to the floor!!!

3. david conrad

david conrad New Member

the spring being on adjuster arm wrong was letting adjuster screw back out of adjustment making the brake pedal travel farther down to make brake shoes reach drum surface to stop truck.

4. RayVoy

Ok, help me here, I don't understand.
    The lever is connected to the rear shoe, when you reverse and brake, the shoe rotates just a little. The rotation is such, that the bottom of the shoe moves downward, just a little.
    This rotation takes the lever with it and if the lever hooks a tooth on the adjuster gear, the gear turns and lengthens the adjuster assembly and the moves the shoes outward.
    I can see a missing spring, or a spring pulling in the wrong direction, causing the lever to miss the gear tooth; but, how does it cause the gear to turn the wrong way?

5. david conrad

david conrad New Member

not sure how it happens but with there being no pressure from the adjuster arm holding it to the adjuster gear the brake shoes slowly adjust in. making them needing adjusted back out to work properly. probably from the pressure of the springs holding shoes together and in place putting force inward on shoes and vibration of moving vehicle makes them adjust inward. I moved spring around to the back side of it yesterday so we will see what happens. after I moved spring the adjuster arm was sitting on the adjuster gear and not half an inch away from it like it was before. last time I adjusted them it took 3 days for brake pedal to slowly go to floor. does that help or make since?

Differently likes this.
  6. RayVoy

Ok, I can see the lever being moved so that it doesn't engage the tooth on the gear.