1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1996 K1500 Downshift troubles

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by kcstrom, May 31, 2010.

1. kcstrom

kcstrom New Member

Hi all,

My 1996 K1500 started having some, what I'm guessing to be, transmission troubles yesterday. It will drive fine if I speed up really really slow. But if I press the pedal down very much to increase the rate of acceleration, the RPM jumps up, then down to below where I was, then back up, then kind of does random weird stuff. If I'm going slow and I press the pedal all the way down, it will kill the engine. I also noticed that the light on the push-button 4x4 had gone out at some point after I had noticed this (should be in 2HI but no indicator light on at all). I press 2HI and it came on and stayed on then.

I had driven on some pretty rough roads the last couple of days. Does it seem possible that a sensor of some sort may have gotten jiggled out, or does it sound like a pretty serious transmission problem?

I'm guessing that this is out of my realm of knowledge/experience to fix myself (unless it's a simpler sensor issue), but I was wondering if any of you all with much more knowledge than I have might render a guess of what the issue might be fas I hate taking my vehicles to a mechanic without some knowledge of the problem myself (I still haven't found a mechanic in my area that I feel I can trust).

Thanks!

kcstrom
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Is the CEL on?? If so you may want to get the codes and go from there..
  3. kcstrom

kcstrom New Member

Nope...the CEL isn't on.