1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1996 overhead (rear control) fan switch quit working???

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by estrom, May 16, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. estrom

estrom New Member

The overhead fan switch that controls the rear fan blower has quit working. Nothing blows in the rear on any of the settings - dead. I guess the 3 options are fuse, resistor, or blower motor. Anybody have any idea which one? There's lots of info. on the web about the front resistor which is located under the dash, but nothing on replacing the rear resistor. I assume it's located in the back with the motor? Thanks for any thoughts!

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I should add that I'm talking about the switch on the front overhead console, not the back switch above the 2nd row seat.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would start by checking the fuse, It should be in the panel on the drive side of the dash. Then, I would use a test light and see if you are getting power to and from the switch, check every position. Next, I would check the power at the fan, make sure it is getting to it. If not then I would track down the resistor which I would also assume is in the rear near the fan. I know that my 1995 silverado had issues with the connector for the front fan melting. Maybe it is something simple like that.
  3. estrom

estrom New Member

Thanks Pikey. I need to do some checking this weekend.
  4. estrom

estrom New Member

Follow up question...some quick checking revealed that the fuse labeled "blower" in the fuse box in the engine compartment was actually missing. I just purchased the vehicle, so I have no idea why they took it out. Anyway, I borrowed a 60 amp fuse from another slot, and the fan controls all work. There's some 50 amp and some 60 amp fuses in that line, so can someone who owns a '96 or similar suburban please look and tell me what amp fuse I need? I think it's the 6th one down from the top in the far right side column of fuses in the engine compartment fuse box. I bought a 60, but figured I would check first to see if someone could tell me what it's supposed to be. The owners manual labels it, but doesn't give amperage. Thanks!
  5. estrom

estrom New Member

I'm not an electrician - is it okay to use a 60 amp fuse in a 50 amp slot?
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Temporarily if it is absolutely necessary yes, but you won't be protecting the circuit safely.